Sunday, January 16, 2011

Yogurt

My family and I prefer to eat unaltered, natural foods. Both my stepdaughter and stepson are on the Autism Spectrum, and I have Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. The three of us notice a very distinct difference in how we feel and function when we eat processed foods. So, I make everything we eat from scratch using natural, organic ingredients.

We avoided dairy for several years and have recently added cheese and yogurt back into our diet. Since we have 6 kids, yogurt goes pretty quick around here. It's a lot more cost efficient to make it, then it is to buy yogurt.

I was amazed at how simple it is to make my own yogurt. I use 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt as my starter.

Put 1/2 gallon of milk ( I use whole, organic milk from grass fed, pastured cows) into the crock pot. Cook it on low for 2 1/2 hours.

At the end of the 2 1/2 hours turn the crock pot off. Take out about 1 cup of hot milk and mix it with 1/2 cup yogurt of your choice. I use saved yogurt from my last batch, if I have it. Otherwise, I use the Greek yogurt. Mix well. Add the mixture back into the crock pot and stir.

Put the lid back on the crock pot and cover it with a heavy towel or small blanket to keep it warm.

Let it sit for about 8 hours so the cultures can grow.

When it's done, you can add sweetener or fruit if you desire.

0 comments:

Post a Comment